One of my favourite pasttimes.
Sometimes you just need to feel superior to the lowest common denominator that the majority of primetime programming is aimed at.
- Pick a current affairs program of your choice.
- Watch for as long as you can while suspending your disbelief
- Hear a completely misleading statistic = disgruntled muttering
- Hear a moronic vox pop that has nothing to do with the point of the story = slightly raised voice
- Watch an entire story that contradicts the excerpt that made you watch in the first place = stand up, point and yell at the TV. WINNER
Also works for some newspapers.
Current affairs not the hot beverage of your choice?
You can repeat the procedure with a reality show:
- Contestant obviously on just for shameless self promotion, just wants a job in the media = too easy
- Contestant who takes it all way too seriously = slightly easier to ridicule
- Contestant who is brought in just to give the public someone to complain about….priceless
(For more reality show entertainment read Ben Elton’s Chart Throb – it will change your world).
Oh – and let me just say – anyone who appears on MasterChef saying they “want to be a chef”
– Get off TV, get a job in a kitchen. Morons.