I know my boss reads this so I am going to start with a special message to her:
– Don’t worry – I am not going anywhere – this is just thinking aloud.
Oh – and I am also not writing this blog during work hours.
Maybe just a little on my lunch break. Really.
When I was a kid there was a lot of ‘what do you want to be when you grow up?’
My answer usually depended on which TV show I was watching at the time.
Sometimes it was:
a lawyer (LA Law – any of them)
a private detective (Remington Steele – Laura Holt)
a secret agent (Get Smart – 99)
a strangely androgynous chinese priest on a horse (Monkey Magic – Tripitaka)
a companion to the Doctor (Doctor Who – Sarah Jane Smith)
Eventually I decided I wanted to be a sports psychologist (played a lot of sport and liked to know what made people do what they did).
I made pretty good grades in school and sailed through Year 12 to be accepted into (thankfully) my third preference. A degree in Psychology and Philosophy followed.
That’s when it all started getting a little off track. By the time I finished my degree I was over studying.
Honours and another year for registration put me off the whole Psychologist thing.
Getting a job and making some money seemed like a good idea.
So I got one and I made some and all was well.
After a year or so in Customer Service/Support I found my niche in IT and have worked in various areas of the industry over the last 13 years.
Every so often I lose interest and try something different.
Communications – 12 months
Community Services – 9 months
Catering – 9 months
So – if we call IT Computers (which most people do) I only work in ‘C’ jobs.
What else can I come up with to try next?
(I can’t believe I googled careers starting with c and actually found an answer!!)
* Cafe owner
– thought about doing this once. The cafe would be called ‘Tea and Sympathy’ – lots of different types of tea. Beautiful old furniture and lots of cakes.
* Candle maker
– did a course at the WEA – Candle making and Advanced Candle making. Lots of fun. Haven’t made one since.
* Careers Counsellor
– looked at getting into recruitment for a while. Maybe not the best person to give others advice on something I am not sure about.
* Cheese maker
– love love love cheese, but I suspect smelling of cheese, not so good. Maybe I’ll just get a goat and make some at home.
* Child Care Worker
– very tempting. Very dangerous
– definitely thought about doing this. In the end, not sure if my clients would like hearing ‘Harden up Princess’ at the end of each session.
– this I could do. In fact I do it all the time. No one pays me for it though.
So – I guess it is back to the computer for now.
But I am keeping an eye out for the Tardis.