I only hear what I want to…
Stay by Lisa Loeb
That song now makes me think of Singstar on New Years Eve 2010.
(And yes, I want her glasses!)
A scent can be highly evocative.
A particular fragrance, food or flower can transport your mind back to a certain place or time.
I find that songs can have the same effect, perhaps even more so.
Certain songs immediately transport me to another time and place, or bring back feelings from what feels like another lifetime ago.
I can’t hear the following songs without bringing to mind someone or somewhere.
(Don’t judge my taste – some of these songs were a product of their time).
You Really Got a Hold on Me – The Beatles
– the first dance at our wedding.
Flame Trees – Cold Chisel
– 2 memories for this one, learning the words with friends on the local oval, and waiting outside Thebarton Oval to see Jimmy Barnes in his Barnestorming tour. Don Walker knows how to write a good song. Steve Prestwich was also surprisingly eloquent and sensitive. In his songs at least.
Into Temptation – Crowded House
– slightly drunken nights walking home from pubs in Melbourne.
‘The guilty get no sleep, in the last slow hours of morning.’
Never Ever – Taylor Swift
– Girls’ weekend in Beechworth. Road trips need a catchy soundtrack.
I suspect Taylor Swift is in league with the devil to record songs that stick in your head for days.
Moves Like Jagger – Maroon Five
– as for Never Ever, and 2011 work Christmas Party.
Call Me Maybe – Carly Rae Jepsen
– 2012 Melbourne Colour Run, and cruel and unusual punishment.
* btw – the clip on the link above is awesome.
Wish You Well – Bernard Fanning
– Every broken heart. This man can write a song.
‘Up so early, feel so bright’ – Genius.
Patience – Guns N Roses, and I Remember You – Skid Row
– High school. Back when Axl Rose was (relatively) sane and Sebastian Bach was skinny and not in the Gilmore Girls.
There is just something about these songs that make me feel like an emotionally insane 16 year old again.
Seriously – don’t judge me. I was young. Or old. Or drunk.